Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Energy Work-- who's the winner??

YOU and the practitioner should be the winners that's who -- READ ON!

Happy New Year!

I know that I've spoken about the benefits of a new energy healing modality called "Quantum Touch (R)" on my website but I've just recently discovered that Reiki works better and faster with me than "Quantum Touch (R)" ever did.

I've always wondered why there seems to be so many different modalities out there and I'm not just talking about energy work modalities either. Massage techniques are numerous as well that it's no wonder people are confused about what is what. But that's a topic for another day because I really want to talk about energy work today (just be sure to check back again for my discussion about the different massage/bodywork techniques). Anyway, it seems that -- oh no, here comes my huge discovery -- everyone's different, not only physically but emotionally and energetically. Wow, huh? Go figure that! So it seems to make sense that not everything fits or works with everyone. You may have a friend who swears that the modality "Healing Touch" is absolutely miraculous but when you try it, you come away wishing that you could get those 60 minutes of your life back. I mean, seriously, have you ever done something a friend suggested was the best thing ever to end up being disappointed? Certainly, it has a little to do with setting your expectations too high, I'll give you that. In any case, I'm saying it all depends on what's right for you:

When I was at a weekend workshop learning "Quantum Touch (R)", I certainly felt some energy (I've always been a little sensitive to it anyway) when I was focusing on my visualizations, trying to feel the energy travel through my body from my feet up, and using the different breathing techniques. But it didn't seem that it was as effective as I (hello ego) wanted it to be. Others at the workshop were immediately converted from other energy work modalities, saying that they'd never experienced anything quite so powerful and effective. Okay, I thought, maybe I just need more practice and hands-on (literally) to get to the point of enabling the effectiveness of the technique. So I persevered and tried it out on a few people; no one seemed all that impressed with it. Not only that, the breathing techniques are a little distracting which made it difficult to integrate into a massage session. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this is a very effective energy healing modality for those who are attuned to it. I still offer it as a freebie (I never did complete my certification) but I don't really push it too much.

I have wanted to include some type of energy work into my massage practice for a long time and even though "Quantum Touch (R)" didn't quite work out for me, I still wanted to try a few other things. One day, not so long ago, I had two massage clients tell me (yes, on the same day and they're not related) that my hands seemed to get very hot while I was working on them -- had I ever considered doing Reiki? Hmmm-- yes, I'd already considered it but I was a little reluctant. So off I went to the bookstore and got myself a book -- The Everything Reiki Book -- just to get a better idea of what it was all about. I was a little less reluctant by the time I finished reading through it and decided to make an appointment for a session so I could feel it for myself. WOW!! It was so many things all at once that I was immediately sure that I wanted to facilitate others to feel, if even a fraction, what I felt that day. So, I signed up for the level I class and got myself certified as a Reiki, level I practitioner. I'm crossing my fingers to be able to get into level II next month!

So, I know it was a long road to get to this point and I want to thank you for coming along for the story of my energy work search. Now, here's some information I'd like to share with you about what to look for if you're thinking about adding energy work to your health and fitness plans --

What to look for
:
1. Energy work does NOT require removal of clothing - if someone asks you to remove your clothes for energy work, quickly run away! Exception-if the energy worker is a massage therapist or doctor or nurse and there are other valid reasons to remove clothing.

2. Make sure the practitioner shares with you an oral or written description of what happens in a session.

3. Energy workers (& massage therapists) aren't doctors and shouldn't be diagnosing anything nor claiming they can "cure" you.

4. According to the Texas State Department of Health law(as of the date of this blog entry), energy workers cannot physically touch their clients unless they are licensed as a massage therapist (or they're a doctor, nurse, etc.).

5. An energy worker should NEVER touch you in anyway that makes you uncomfortable even if they are licensed (see #4).

*Also, remember that the energy practitioner is only the facilitator in the healing process. Just like I tell anyone that comes in for a massage and they've never had one before - "I'm only the vehicle to your healthier destination, you are still the driver."*

So get out there and try an energy healing technique and go with an open mind. Don't set up road blocks by raising your expectations too high either!

By-the-way, I'd love it if you'd like to comment on your own experiences with an energy healing modality. Don't forget to check my website for the question of the month -- answer it and earn a $5.00 credit for a massage! Go here - http://www.wholenessmassage.com/MonthlyQuestion2008.htm

Blessings and peace to all!

Subscribe with Bloglines

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home